About the Project
Since 2007 UNDP has been supporting the Government of the Republic of Uzbekistan in reforming the public finance system. The goal of the project is to provide support to the Government of Uzbekistan in advancing the next stage of reforms in the public finance management (PFM) area by continuing assistance and further enhancing the capacity with focus on achieving greater effectiveness, accountability, and transparency of the budget preparation system in line with the new PFM Reform Strategy.
This goal will be achieved through analytical work on various aspects of budget policy improvement, drafting legislative and regulatory documents in the area of state financial control, methodological support on the introduction of medium-term budget planning and establishment of the internal control and audit systems, further promoting greater fiscal transparency as well as strengthening the human resource capacity for the implementation of reforms.
- Introduction of the medium-term budget planning and programme-based budgeting with an aim to increase the efficiency and efficacy of budget spending, as well as to address the budget needs for implementation of longer-term national development strategies and programmes (including SDGs);
- Facilitating the establishment of a solid and functional internal control and audit systems, which must complement successful introduction of programme-based budgeting;
- Further promoting greater fiscal transparency by helping the government publish essential public revenue and expenditure (budget) figures in line with the international recognized standards;
- Enhancing the capacities of the State Pension Fund to forecast the revenues and expenditures in order to ensure the sustainability of the Fund and the quality and coverage of its services.
- Enhanced capacities at the central and local level in the area of strategic planning, medium-term budget forecasting, risk analysis and management;
- Strengthened capacities of the selected line ministries in the formulation of development programs, based on sound intervention logic, and related analytical reports;
- Established legislative framework for functioning of the internal audit systems for the relaxation of central input control so as to accord line agencies greater managerial freedom to produce services efficiently;
- Increased fiscal transparency through improvement of the access and quality of the fiscal data as well as development of the “citizens’ budget”;
- Enhanced capacity of the Pension fund in the area of forecasting the revenues and expenditures for the medium and long-term perspectives strengthened through application of alternative econometric modeling tools;
- Strengthened human resource capacity for the implementation of reforms.